Every year RYLA operates with a team of facilitators and a committee who volunteer their time and efforts to organise everything from the program activities to communications, speakers, logistics and so on.
We are thrilled to have and welcome Adam Friedmann to the RYLA 2017 team as one of the new members this year!
We wanted to get to know Adam a bit better so asked him some insightful questions…
- If you could take one thing with you and be stranded on an island, what would it be? Bear Grylls 😀
- Would you rather read a good book or watch a good TV show? Watch a TV show
- What would you give up, chocolate or music? Chocolate
- What is your greatest fear? And would you embrace that fear for 12 hours for $1000? Becoming terminally ill. No, I wouldn’t.
- What did you want to be when you were young? A pilot
- If you could have one superpower what would it be? Teleportation
- If you could travel in time where would you go? I think it would be cool to experience ancient Egypt from a viewpoint and observe what went on during that time.
- What motivates you to get up in the morning? Sunshine
- What is the first thing you notice in someone? Their smile
- What is your pet peeve? When people squeeze the toothpaste from the middle of the bottle I may have a little OCD…
- What is the one thing you can’t live without? My friends
- What is your go to movie for a rainy day? I like to mix it up. I try to watch movies I haven’t seen before.
Why did you become a RYLA facilitator?
I feel that I gained a lot from being a participant on RYLA and in the months since. I became a facilitator to help develop not only the RYLArians of future years, but also to develop my own skills and leadership working in a team with like-minded people.
What did you expect when you got into the RYLA program (as a participant)?
I had zero expectations coming into RYLA as I knew nothing about the program. Everyone who I knew that had done it told me nothing except “the more you put in, the more you will get out of it”. I went into the week with an open mind knowing I wanted to challenge myself and grow from the experience.
What’s your favourite RYLA moment (as participant)?
Being in a small group environment, learning about fellow participants and how they had overcome challenges. Really getting to know some people on a deeper level.
A bit more about Adam…
After leaving school when he was 15, Adam eventually fell into a job in Import-Export, where he spent 5 years and became 2IC of the small business where he worked, gaining valuable business and managerial experience. After some time, Adam decided he wanted a new challenge and to take his life in a different direction so he left his job to study a Bachelor of Commerce with a Business Information Systems major at Macquarie University which he is part way through. In his spare time, he volunteers for the NSW State Emergency Service, is an active Rotaractor in Macquarie University Rotaract and loves playing tennis with friends. Adam is fascinated with personal development, whether it be through books, podcasts or videos, picking out the common habits successful people have. Adam also loves to travel and experience different cultures, meet people from different walks of life and experience different surroundings.